2023: EFAITH ON THE ROAD AGAIN
After COVID, life slowly resumed
At the end of 2019, we changed our statutes to an 'international non-profit association' (association internationale sans but lucratif) which is possible under Belgian law. Those statutes wer approved by Royal Decree. Although our registered office is in Belgium, this makes EFAITH a truly international association, not a 'national' organisation aiming to be 'international'.
|EFAITH wants to be the platform for European associations and volunteers for the preservation and interpretation of industrial and technical heritage.
EFAITH is for them a place of contacts, exchanges of experiences and ideas.
The pandemic ...
We wanted to put our operation on a new and dynamic footing in 2020, but were surprised by the pandemic. All our plans and projects had to go into the deep freeze. We could only keep in touch and exchange information via zoom. We tried to build contacts between associations and volunteers through free and open webinars - which we continue in 2023
The Erasmus+ project 'HECTOR' (Industrial Heritage as Key Competence for Tourist Operators) also had to be shifted to the virtual world. The planned lessons had to be translated into online modules that remain available on the internet, being an advantage in the long run. It was only in september 2022 that a practical course for the students took place Abbadia San Salvatore in Italy, to conclude the project
After the inactivity by COVID and its aftermath, we are now at the point of reactivating EFAITH for and from 2023, slowly resuming our activities.
What does this mean in concrete terms ?
- Membership of all organisations and individuals who paid membership dues from 2020 onwards will be extended until the end of 2023 - so they will not have to pay dues before 2024.
- However, voluntary support is always possible and appreciated
- In previous years, membership recruitment could not be done because activities were at a low ebb. We now want to tinker with that and count on every one to encourage membership of organisations in their country or region.
Following the amendment of the articles of association, a general meeting should have been held in 2020 to appoint a new board of directors. For known reason, this could not take place, was postponed to 2021, 2022 and now to spring 2024
- The general assembly will be scheduled early 2024, during the traditional weekend for volunteers and associations - probably in Barcelona
- Candidates who want to be part of the new team can apply from now on - we will then keep in touch with them until the general assembly and inform them about the ins and outs of EFAITH
- Two more free webinars will take place this year, a first one on June 17th on saving railway stations. The call-for-papers is open
- For 2024, we are planning our traditional weekend in Spring. Details will be announced as soon as possible, and at the latest in the Autumn of 2023
- In the Autumn of 2023, there will be a weekend on factory chimneys in Roubaix (France) and at least one thematic zoom webinar
- For 2014 we are hoping to organise a next weekend on mining heritage, after those in Beringen (2018) and Peñarroya (2019). The third edition, planned for 2020 had to be cancelled at the time. We are now looking for a new interesting and easily accessible location to host it this year. Candidates can contact us.
- In addition, we would like to devote each year from 2023 onwards to one type of industrial heritage, to promote its importance at European level - and if possible to build a network of organisations and initiators around that theme.
The theme for 2023, has been set to factory chimneys, and for 2024 to workers housing and factory villages. Those interested can contact us
- We also want to reactivate the Industriana label from this Autumn. Due to the problems during the pandemic years, that project took a bit of a back seat. However, the multilingual label with its QR code proved its usefulness for numerous sites, and is now present in 12 European countries.